Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Spotlight on Danyal Mascall

Photobucket The work of Danyal Mascall is red hot right now; just seven weeks in, he's been sending me these silhouette animation frame depicting what look like if Keith Harring illustrated ninja fights. Dan has picked up on animation techniques even I overlooked and I've been making animated Gif anime with students for almost three years now. First technique: USING A RULER TO KEEP THE PROPORTIONS of his character RIGHT. Dan took a ruler to make sure each figure was the exact same size. By drawing lines behind his character like a police mug shot works to know the height of a accused criminal, Dan found a DIY way to keep his frames all perfect. Dan has not been bogged down in detail, students. He understands that making ANIMATION FRAMES is different from making a painting. There isn't much time for realism, hyper attention to detail - you simply need to keep drawing frames. He's sent me about 23 and as the editor in this collaboration I've taken upon myself to be part of I can't even keep up with his work ethic. You've seen two 5 frame gifs from him on this blog. So far with more man power I MIGHT be able to keep with his production. I haven't even gone over human proportions, anime proportions, cartoon proportions, perspective drawing ... we've only talked about icons, logos, emoticons and smily faces. Just think about it - what is this kid going to create once he figures our color theory? Holy cow. I hope it doesn't appear like I'm picking favorites. And in fact other students deserve attention too. I am most impressed with the concentration and effort displayed by members of this class. TODAY we are going to do some class reading of Calvin and Hobbes. We'll read outloud as a group. We'll be reading from Bill Watterson's collection entitled "Scientific Progress Goes "Boink". We will be reading a selection about bullying and discussing it. As a response, students must think of a 5 frame animation that reflects on the reading and comments on the subject of bullying. Some great C & H gifs: http://calvinandhobbesgifs.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment